Leading corporate & commercial law firm in Central and Eastern Europe
Whether you are a buyer, seller or target, we represent boards and investors with the efficiency and sensitivity you need. As one of the top corporate law firms, we have been at the vanguard of the development of the private and public mergers and acquisitions markets across the region for decades. Your business will benefit from our experienced corporate and commercial lawyers successfully negotiating and closing all types of transactions.
“The firm is regarded as a dominant force across a number of transactional areas in Austria, with highly ranked teams providing cross-border expertise in areas such as finance, capital markets and M&A. The team is frequently sought out by Austrian and international private equity funds, particularly in relation to transactions involving CEE jurisdictions.”– Chambers Global
“This is truly the premier corporate M&A team in the Vienna market. They have a deep understanding of the law, a very good commercial sense, are able to explain complex issues in a very down-to-earth, understandable manner and always meet their commitments.”– The Legal 500
What makes our team the best corporate and M&A law firm for you?
Our regional, integrated firm offers distinct advantages in cross-border transactions.
- An established international business law firm with 20+ years of transaction experience in Austria and CEE/SEE
- A fully integrated, single team of 340 locally-qualified lawyers in 13 countries and offices
- Collaboration and innovation across multidisciplinary teams and offices
- Experience with large and mid-sized transactions covering the full spectrum of corporate, M&A and regulatory law for our clients
- Knowledge and expertise to add value to deals across various industries
- Excellent client satisfaction – responsive, client-oriented, and consistent
Leading the legal field
Our lawyers are involved in key transactions and matters across the region, bringing their industry expertise and specialised business knowledge to add value to our clients’ work.
€1 billion group acquisition – buy side
SPAC transaction across CEE/SEE
Telecom assets acquisition of €1.2 billion
€830 million insurance acquisition including FDI
Specialist corporate/M&A lawyers in Central and Eastern Europe
Wolf Theiss advised Coatue and DST Global as lead investors in the Series B and Series C financing round of Vienna-based e-learning start-up GoStudent in the course of subsequent EUR 70 million and EUR 205 million capital increases.
Achieved unicorn status
GoStudent achieved unicorn status with the Series C investment at a valuation of over EUR 1.4 billion.
Buy side M&A
Our team advised Koninklijke DSM on the successful EUR 1 billion acquisition of ERBER Group in Austria and all our CEE jurisdictions, as well as coordinating other counsels in 9 jurisdictions worldwide.
Our tasks included due diligence, obtaining W&I insurance coverage, revision and negotiation of transaction documentation (including a carve-out), as well as regulatory approvals including merger and foreign investment control and a group-wide post-closing corporate restructuring.
Regional SPAC transaction
We advised Bright Machines on the CEE legal aspects of its merger with a NYSE-listed special purpose acquisition company (SPAC).
Pioneering SPAC in CEE/SEE
We provided advice in Austria, Hungary, Poland and Romania in one of the first multi-jurisdictional SPAC transactions in the region.
Areas of specialisation
Venture Capital and Start-ups
Some say that we have entered the age of the start-up. A number of exciting opportunities for VC investors have led to the growth of a real start-up ecosystem in the region. In such a rapidly and unpredictably developing field, you need proactive advice and advisers who can facilitate collaboration between entrepreneurs and venture capital investors. When time and costs are an issue, our industry specialists allow us to provide real deal value, ensuring successful transactions and a solid foundation for your future growth.
Private Equity Law
From fund formation to LP & GP agreements, regulatory compliance and governance and portfolio M&A, we know how to leverage your private equity in the region and make it work for your future. Our lawyers facilitate and negotiate transactions for you, and execute other instruments such as complex financings, strategic partnerships, leveraged buyouts, cross-border M&A, carve-out transactions, IPOs and trade sale exits.
We help you with all matters related to commercial contract law procedures and protocols in order to legally run and operate a company and specialise in rendering corporate services on the basis of standardised and centralised communication and documentation.
Our corporate law attorneys’ expertise includes franchise law, commercial agency and sale of goods law, contractual law, distribution law, and other business law advice. Finally, in case of possible disputes, there is often the question of including a precautionary agreement on experts, who as arbitrators can clarify difficult technical and/or commercial issues.
Corporate Governance and Compliance Law
Compliance is hard enough as it is without accounting for the complications of different jurisdictions. We have the competence you need to deal with corporate and financial law matters, implementing corporate governance regimes and compliance programmes across borders and jurisdictions.
Listed companies, privately held groups, private equity fund managers and start-ups are just some of the kinds of entities we have helped guide through the compliance thick
Much of what we do is aimed at simplifying the complex and making it work for you. This is especially true for the complexities of joint venture partnerships. We guide you through investigating and implementing funding, management and governance mechanisms that mitigate potential disputes and difficulties.
We accompany you over the gamut of the joint venture lifecycle, from initial formation to regulatory approvals, financing, corporate law governance and exit structures.
Privatisation and Liberalisation
Our expert advice is born of the practical business world that you work in: our lawyers have worked in the financial services, telecommunications, airline and energy industries and make their knowledge of the drivers, challenges, valuation and structural issues of these sectors work for the success of your transaction. You can rely on us.
We advise clients and sovereigns on privatisation transactions in multiple bidder situations and have experience in negotiating with governments, their advisors, stakeholders and regulatory agencies.
Distressed Mergers and Acquisitions
In your time of need, we are there to help you calmly sort out effective options to reduce debt burden and optimise your legal position in reorganisations and turnarounds. We advise companies, international, national and regional financial institutions, lenders, alternative debt and equity providers as well as special situation funds in domestic as well as cross-border matters.
Public mergers and acquisitions
We are equally effective in public M&A matters. When consensus seems elusive, we find solutions with regulators and stakeholders in the most complex of matters, including executing the acquisition of controlling and minority stakes and both mandatory and voluntary bids. No matter what side of the transaction you are on, as bidder, seller, target or bondholder, we advise you on the structuring of due diligence, negotiations with other parties, and approvals from regulatory authorities.
Private mergers and acquisitions
Founders, entrepreneurs and investors in privately held companies trust us as their corporate and merger and acquisitions law firm for the success of their private M&A transactions. Our knowledge of business law and regulations make cross-border transactions work for you in the globalised marketplace of today. We provide the depth of specialist knowledge and breadth of regional coverage in M&A law needed to make your venture successful.
What others say about us
“The Wolf Theiss Corporate / M&A Team with its high level of quality lawyers is an excellent choice and our preferred partner for all matters of corporate law and transaction work.”
“Compared to other law firms and departments, we particularly noticed the courteous and appreciative interaction with one another.”
“The full-package service combined with high professionalism, timely manner and orientation on the needs of the client.”– The Legal 500
“The firm has a market leading position in CEE and could provide specific input on very short notice while handling multiple dependencies.”– IFLR1000
“Understands the CEE region extremely well.”
“Highly professional, service oriented and provide a high-quality work in the entire CEE/SEE region.”
Get in touch
Whether you need an international team with extensive experience, Wolf Theiss can support your business goals through our profound legal practice.
Teja Balazic Jerovsek
Compliance statusWe firmly believe that the internet should be available and accessible to anyone, and are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of circumstance and ability. To fulfill this, we aim to adhere as strictly as possible to the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 (WCAG 2.1) at the AA level. These guidelines explain how to make web content accessible to people with a wide array of disabilities. Complying with those guidelines helps us ensure that the website is accessible to all people: blind people, people with motor impairments, visual impairment, cognitive disabilities, and more. This website utilizes various technologies that are meant to make it as accessible as possible at all times. We utilize an accessibility interface that allows persons with specific disabilities to adjust the website’s UI (user interface) and design it to their personal needs. Additionally, the website utilizes an AI-based application that runs in the background and optimizes its accessibility level constantly. This application remediates the website’s HTML, adapts Its functionality and behavior for screen-readers used by the blind users, and for keyboard functions used by individuals with motor impairments. If you’ve found a malfunction or have ideas for improvement, we’ll be happy to hear from you. You can reach out to the website’s operators by using the following email
Screen-reader and keyboard navigationOur website implements the ARIA attributes (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) technique, alongside various different behavioral changes, to ensure blind users visiting with screen-readers are able to read, comprehend, and enjoy the website’s functions. As soon as a user with a screen-reader enters your site, they immediately receive a prompt to enter the Screen-Reader Profile so they can browse and operate your site effectively. Here’s how our website covers some of the most important screen-reader requirements, alongside console screenshots of code examples:
- Screen-reader optimization: we run a background process that learns the website’s components from top to bottom, to ensure ongoing compliance even when updating the website. In this process, we provide screen-readers with meaningful data using the ARIA set of attributes. For example, we provide accurate form labels; descriptions for actionable icons (social media icons, search icons, cart icons, etc.); validation guidance for form inputs; element roles such as buttons, menus, modal dialogues (popups), and others. Additionally, the background process scans all of the website’s images and provides an accurate and meaningful image-object-recognition-based description as an ALT (alternate text) tag for images that are not described. It will also extract texts that are embedded within the image, using an OCR (optical character recognition) technology. To turn on screen-reader adjustments at any time, users need only to press the Alt+1 keyboard combination. Screen-reader users also get automatic announcements to turn the Screen-reader mode on as soon as they enter the website.These adjustments are compatible with all popular screen readers, including JAWS and NVDA.
Disability profiles supported in our website
- Epilepsy Safe Mode: this profile enables people with epilepsy to use the website safely by eliminating the risk of seizures that result from flashing or blinking animations and risky color combinations.
- Visually Impaired Mode: this mode adjusts the website for the convenience of users with visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataract, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Mode: this mode provides different assistive options to help users with cognitive impairments such as Dyslexia, Autism, CVA, and others, to focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- ADHD Friendly Mode: this mode helps users with ADHD and Neurodevelopmental disorders to read, browse, and focus on the main website elements more easily while significantly reducing distractions.
- Blindness Mode: this mode configures the website to be compatible with screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. A screen-reader is software for blind users that is installed on a computer and smartphone, and websites must be compatible with it.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile (Motor-Impaired): this profile enables motor-impaired persons to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. Users can also use shortcuts such as “M” (menus), “H” (headings), “F” (forms), “B” (buttons), and “G” (graphics) to jump to specific elements.
Additional UI, design, and readability adjustments
- Font adjustments – users, can increase and decrease its size, change its family (type), adjust the spacing, alignment, line height, and more.
- Color adjustments – users can select various color contrast profiles such as light, dark, inverted, and monochrome. Additionally, users can swap color schemes of titles, texts, and backgrounds, with over 7 different coloring options.
- Animations – epileptic users can stop all running animations with the click of a button. Animations controlled by the interface include videos, GIFs, and CSS flashing transitions.
- Content highlighting – users can choose to emphasize important elements such as links and titles. They can also choose to highlight focused or hovered elements only.
- Audio muting – users with hearing devices may experience headaches or other issues due to automatic audio playing. This option lets users mute the entire website instantly.
- Cognitive disorders – we utilize a search engine that is linked to Wikipedia and Wiktionary, allowing people with cognitive disorders to decipher meanings of phrases, initials, slang, and others.
- Additional functions – we provide users the option to change cursor color and size, use a printing mode, enable a virtual keyboard, and many other functions.