Leading corporate & commercial law firm in Central and Eastern Europe
Whether you are a buyer, seller or target, we represent boards and investors with the efficiency and sensitivity you need. As one of the top corporate law firms, we have been at the vanguard of the development of the private and public mergers and acquisitions markets across the region for decades. Your business will benefit from our experienced corporate and commercial lawyers successfully negotiating and closing all types of transactions.
What others say about us
“Very dedicated lawyers with great technical knowledge.”
“The team provides quick and pragmatic advice and is capable of dealing with highly complex IT and IP matters and is highly recommended for both national and international projects.”
The “young and dynamic” team has particular expertise in IT outsourcing, cloud computing, e-commerce, online entertainment and media, data protection/information security and telecoms.– The Legal 500
What makes our team the best law firm for you?
Our regional, integrated firm offers distinct advantages, spanning the full spectrum of legal services.
- An established international law firm with 60+ years of experience in Austria and CEE/SEE
- A fully integrated team of jurisdiction-specific qualified lawyers across our offices in 13 countries.
- Collaboration and innovation across multidisciplinary teams and offices
- Excellent client satisfaction – responsive, client-oriented, and consistent
- Experience with complex and cross-border matters covering the full spectrum of legal services
- Knowledge and expertise to add value to deals across industries
Ground-breaking deals for innovative companies
Whether you are a business planning to outsource its IT operations or a vendor providing such services, you will find us a competent partner in drafting and reviewing IT outsourcing agreements.
Our TMT lawyers can advise you not only on all aspects of data protection and data privacy and help you file the necessary notifications and applications, we can also provide you with comprehensive advice covering IP, employment or regulatory issues that might arise in connection with outsourcing projects.
With the rise of IaaS, PaaS and SaaS models and the emergence of third parties between businesses and their information, new legal challenges have arisen as well. Apart from newly enacted legislation, questions like the location of stored data, the risk of data loss, “lock-in” effects or information theft have gained new significance.
You can rely on our long experience in advising both cloud service providers and customers on relevant agreements, notifying authorities and addressing regulatory issues in all our jurisdictions.
Retail has long been one of our key sectors. As e-commerce has become standard, we have assisted many of our long-time clients in setting up online stores. This means you benefit from our comprehensive legal advice in connection with websites and mobile applications (apps); from drafting and reviewing online terms and conditions to advising on data protection requirements to representing you in domain name disputes.
Our TMT lawyers ensure your compliance with e-commerce law, distant selling law, consumer protection law and competition law to help your business safely keep up with the newest trends.
Online Entertainment & Media
The emergence of new media and social networking has drastically changed consumer behaviour and has brought about new business models which require a new and integrated legal approach. Our clients include media corporations, social network providers, internet services providers, providers of streaming services and developers or providers of gaming services.
Based on our experience of working on ground-breaking cases in the region, we guide you through all regulatory issues such as licensing, gambling and advertising regulations as well as related tax matters. Our IP experts help you protect your copyrights and related rights and represent you, if necessary, in infringement cases.
Data Protection / Information Security
There is hardly another area where data protection is more prevalent than in the TMT sector. With more innovations, more virtual break-ins, and stricter regulations, staying up to date with your privacy policies and data security is more important than ever. We help you do that while respecting your business needs and with an eye toward your continued success.
We can also advise you on the compliance of your products, services and transactions, assist in filing notifications to authorities and help to set up or review your internal procedures such as “Bring Your Own Device” policies, (cross-border) data transfers or Incident Response Plans for data breaches.
If you operate in the telecommunications sector, you benefit from our long-standing experience in the development of telecommunication markets across the CEE/SEE region, including advising clients on cases in connection with privatisation, market consolidation and telecom infrastructure, as well as representing them in disputes before local and international authorities, including the European Court of Justice. We can advise you on the entire spectrum of regulations affecting your industry.
You also benefit from our region-wide coverage if you are planning a cross-border transaction; we can advise you on all aspects of M&A and related matters such as merger control, tax, financing, IP or employment in all the countries in which we operate.
Get in touch
When you need an international team with extensive experience, Wolf Theiss is your right partner to support your business goals through profound legal practice.
Wolf Theiss - Leading Lawyers in CEE&SEE
Compliance statusWe firmly believe that the internet should be available and accessible to anyone, and are committed to providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience, regardless of circumstance and ability. To fulfill this, we aim to adhere as strictly as possible to the World Wide Web Consortium’s (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 (WCAG 2.1) at the AA level. These guidelines explain how to make web content accessible to people with a wide array of disabilities. Complying with those guidelines helps us ensure that the website is accessible to all people: blind people, people with motor impairments, visual impairment, cognitive disabilities, and more. This website utilizes various technologies that are meant to make it as accessible as possible at all times. We utilize an accessibility interface that allows persons with specific disabilities to adjust the website’s UI (user interface) and design it to their personal needs. Additionally, the website utilizes an AI-based application that runs in the background and optimizes its accessibility level constantly. This application remediates the website’s HTML, adapts Its functionality and behavior for screen-readers used by the blind users, and for keyboard functions used by individuals with motor impairments. If you’ve found a malfunction or have ideas for improvement, we’ll be happy to hear from you. You can reach out to the website’s operators by using the following email
Screen-reader and keyboard navigationOur website implements the ARIA attributes (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) technique, alongside various different behavioral changes, to ensure blind users visiting with screen-readers are able to read, comprehend, and enjoy the website’s functions. As soon as a user with a screen-reader enters your site, they immediately receive a prompt to enter the Screen-Reader Profile so they can browse and operate your site effectively. Here’s how our website covers some of the most important screen-reader requirements, alongside console screenshots of code examples:
- Screen-reader optimization: we run a background process that learns the website’s components from top to bottom, to ensure ongoing compliance even when updating the website. In this process, we provide screen-readers with meaningful data using the ARIA set of attributes. For example, we provide accurate form labels; descriptions for actionable icons (social media icons, search icons, cart icons, etc.); validation guidance for form inputs; element roles such as buttons, menus, modal dialogues (popups), and others. Additionally, the background process scans all of the website’s images and provides an accurate and meaningful image-object-recognition-based description as an ALT (alternate text) tag for images that are not described. It will also extract texts that are embedded within the image, using an OCR (optical character recognition) technology. To turn on screen-reader adjustments at any time, users need only to press the Alt+1 keyboard combination. Screen-reader users also get automatic announcements to turn the Screen-reader mode on as soon as they enter the website.These adjustments are compatible with all popular screen readers, including JAWS and NVDA.
Disability profiles supported in our website
- Epilepsy Safe Mode: this profile enables people with epilepsy to use the website safely by eliminating the risk of seizures that result from flashing or blinking animations and risky color combinations.
- Visually Impaired Mode: this mode adjusts the website for the convenience of users with visual impairments such as Degrading Eyesight, Tunnel Vision, Cataract, Glaucoma, and others.
- Cognitive Disability Mode: this mode provides different assistive options to help users with cognitive impairments such as Dyslexia, Autism, CVA, and others, to focus on the essential elements of the website more easily.
- ADHD Friendly Mode: this mode helps users with ADHD and Neurodevelopmental disorders to read, browse, and focus on the main website elements more easily while significantly reducing distractions.
- Blindness Mode: this mode configures the website to be compatible with screen-readers such as JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver, and TalkBack. A screen-reader is software for blind users that is installed on a computer and smartphone, and websites must be compatible with it.
- Keyboard Navigation Profile (Motor-Impaired): this profile enables motor-impaired persons to operate the website using the keyboard Tab, Shift+Tab, and the Enter keys. Users can also use shortcuts such as “M” (menus), “H” (headings), “F” (forms), “B” (buttons), and “G” (graphics) to jump to specific elements.
Additional UI, design, and readability adjustments
- Font adjustments – users, can increase and decrease its size, change its family (type), adjust the spacing, alignment, line height, and more.
- Color adjustments – users can select various color contrast profiles such as light, dark, inverted, and monochrome. Additionally, users can swap color schemes of titles, texts, and backgrounds, with over 7 different coloring options.
- Animations – epileptic users can stop all running animations with the click of a button. Animations controlled by the interface include videos, GIFs, and CSS flashing transitions.
- Content highlighting – users can choose to emphasize important elements such as links and titles. They can also choose to highlight focused or hovered elements only.
- Audio muting – users with hearing devices may experience headaches or other issues due to automatic audio playing. This option lets users mute the entire website instantly.
- Cognitive disorders – we utilize a search engine that is linked to Wikipedia and Wiktionary, allowing people with cognitive disorders to decipher meanings of phrases, initials, slang, and others.
- Additional functions – we provide users the option to change cursor color and size, use a printing mode, enable a virtual keyboard, and many other functions.